Wednesday 9 April 2014

Elizabeth Robinson






The artist creates traditional functional pottery and decorates using incised designs, slip and decals.The themes of lineage, nostalgia and iconicism are visual in her work. On my own personal reflection, while i find the craft admirable and I understand that each are unique and individually thrown, I think I saw a set of crockery very similar to this in Dunnes Stores not too long ago. 

I suppose anyone interested in throwing would find this artist helpful.

"The pots I craft represent my place in the world, their physicality assembles a sense of the 
lineage I feel lacking."

"The direct, seemingly casual manner in which I handle clay and glaze intersects with molded 
forms, stamps and decals; juxtaposing soft and hard edges, loose and formal lines."

"This contrast 
creates a tension between mass and delicacy, refinement and physicality, that I associate with 
elements of my own personality."

No comments:

Post a Comment